Job announcements for executive directors and paid staff of Designated Virginia Main Street communities and Commercial District Affiliate communities may be shared on this space. Please email job announcement information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fredericksburg – Executive Director Position Opening
Opening Date: Immediately
Closing Date: November 8, 2013
Salary: $55,000 – $65,000 commensurate to experience
Please submit applications to: email@example.com
The chief executive is responsible for the overall administration and management of The Fredericksburg Main Street Initiative, including service programs, fund-raising, administrative and business operations. Areas of responsibility include planning and evaluation, policy development and administration, personnel and fiscal management, public relations, as well as marketing and special event coordination. This is a full-time position, hired by and directly accountable to the board of directors through its elected board chair.
Range of Duties to be Performed:
- Manage all administrative aspects of the Main Street program, including purchasing, record keeping, budget development, accounting, preparing all reports required by the state Main Street program and by the National Main Street Center, assisting with the preparation of reports to funding agencies, and supervising employees or consultants.
- Develop, in conjunction with the Main Street program’s board of directors, downtown economic development strategies that are based on historic preservation and utilize the community’s human and economic resources. Become familiar with all persons and groups directly and indirectly involved in the downtown. Assist the Main Street program’s board of directors and committees in developing an annual action plan for implementing a downtown revitalization program focused on four areas: design/historic preservation; promotion and marketing; organization/management; and economic restructuring/development.
- Assists Board Chair in planning the agenda for Board meetings and facilitates the orientation of new board members. Works with the board to raise funds from the community, as well as staffing board committees as appropriate.
- Attends meetings of Virginia Main Street Association. Attends Economic Development Authority, Fredericksburg Economic Development, City Council Meetings and other organization meetings as appropriate.
- Prepare and submit grant applications and funding proposals as appropriate. Administer all grants for use in downtown to insure success.
- Develop, recommend, and monitor annual and other budgets. Ensure effective audit trails and approve expenditures. Provide for proper fiscal record-keeping and reporting. Submit monthly financial statements to the board of directors.
- Prepare and submit grant applications and funding proposals as appropriate.
- Maintain constant communications with all downtown merchants and businesses within the district on issues such as event plans and promotional opportunities.
- Serves as a resource for realtors and other prospective investors interested in opportunities in downtown Fredericksburg.
- Visits regularly with existing businesses and property owners for the purpose of discussing issues, concerns and opportunities for increasing business.
- Regularly meets with new property owners and business operators within the first 30 days of their purchase of the building, or opening of a new business.
Job Knowledge and Skills Required:
- The program director should have education and/or experience in one or more of the following areas: commercial district management, economics, finance, public relations, planning, business administration, public administration, retailing, volunteer or non-profit administration, architecture, historic preservation, and/or small business development.
- The program director must be sensitive to design and preservation issues and must understand the issues confronting downtown business people, property owners, public agencies, and community organizations. The director must be entrepreneurial, energetic, imaginative, well organized and capable of functioning effectively in an independent environment. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential. Supervisory skills are desirable.
Commercial District Affiliates
There are no job announcements at this time.